Collett's Mountain Holidays - Booking Conditions
Please Note: Adequate and valid travel insurance is compulsory for all guests of Collett's Mountain Holidays. It is a condition of your booking that you agree you will have obtained adequate and valid travel insurance for your booking by the date of departure.
1. CONTRACT: Please read these booking conditions carefully as they, together with the specific information in your booking confirmation, form an important part of your contract with Collett's Limited trading as Collett's Mountain Holidays.
2. PRICES: We reserve the right to alter any of our advertised prices. You will be advised of the current price of the holiday that you wish to book before your contract is confirmed.
3. SUPPLEMENTS: We reserve the right to apply a supplement to your holiday after you have booked in the event of increases to the costs of supplying your holiday, which might result from changes in transport and accommodation rates, currency fluctuations and government action. Supplements will not be applied within 30 days of your arrival date. All prices quoted are fully inclusive of non optional charges.
4. MAKING A BOOKING AND PAYMENT: When you have chosen your accommodation and you make a request to us to book it, you must pay a deposit of £100 (or £150 for our Ski Safari, Camino de Santiago and Hut to Hut holidays), or if you are booking within 8 weeks of your arrival date the full cost of the booking. Your booking is only confirmed and a contract between us will only exist when a) your party leader has ticked the box on our client portal confirming that they accept our terms and conditions; b) we have received in cleared funds a deposit of £100 or £150 (as appropriate) per person; and c) we have issued our confirmation by email. Please check your confirmation carefully and report any incorrect or incomplete information to us immediately.
5. FINAL BALANCES: If you have paid a deposit, the ‘final balance’ of the cost of your holiday is due 56 days (8 weeks) before departure. If the balance is not received on time, we will remind you that it is overdue. If you then do not pay within 7 days of this reminder we reserve the right to cancel your booking and retain your deposit. Payments by credit card will attract a credit card charge of 2%.
6. INSURANCE: It is essential that you take out adequate and valid insurance, which should include (without limitation) cover against the cost of cancellation by you, assistance (including repatriation) in the event of accident or illness, and third party liability for injury and damage. We recommend that your policy is as extensive as our recommended insurance policy, details of which can be found on our website. Insurance premiums in respect of travel insurance purchased from us are non-refundable and non-transferable.
7. BOOKING CHANGES: After our confirmation has been issued, any requests for changes must be sent to us in writing, fax or post, by the person that made the booking. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your request but we will try to do so. If you change the number in your party, the accommodation price will be re-calculated. If the party size is reduced, this is likely to mean the remaining members paying more due to under-occupancy.
8. CANCELLATIONS: If you want to cancel your booking, the person who made the booking must send this in writing to us, by email, fax or post. You will be charged a cancellation fee as follows: If you cancel (this is the date on which we receive your written notice of cancellation during the hours of 9am to 5.30pm):
More than 55 days before your arrival date: Deposit Only
Between 56 and 43 days before your arrival date: 25%
Between 42 and 29 days before your arrival date: 50%
Within 28 days of arrival date: 100%
Charges are shown as a percentage of your total holiday cost (including any excursions).
9. YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR BOOKING: When you make a booking you guarantee that you have the authority to accept and do accept on behalf of your party the terms of these booking conditions. This means that you are responsible for making all payments due, notifying us if any changes or cancellations are required and for receiving the confirmation and keeping your party informed.
10. OUR LIABILITY, CONDITIONS of CARRIAGE & LIMITATIONS: (a) Our obligations, in providing any accommodation or service included in your holiday, are to take reasonable skill and care to arrange for the provision of such accommodation or services. Therefore, providing we have selected our providers with reasonable care and skill, we will have no liability to you for anything that happens at the accommodation or any acts or omissions of the provider or other service providers. We will also have no liability in the following situations: (i) where the accommodation or services cannot be provided as booked due to circumstances beyond our control or which amount to "force majeure" (including, without limitation, terrorist activity, natural disasters and adverse weather conditions); (ii) where you incur any loss or damage that could not have been foreseen at the time of your booking, based on the information provided by you; (iii) where you incur any loss or damage that relates to any business activity; (iv) where any loss or damage relates to any services which do not form part of our contract with you. (b) Our liability, except in cases involving death, injury or illness, shall be limited to a maximum of 2 times the cost of your holiday with us. We shall have no liability where the cause of the failure to provide, or failure in, your holiday or any death or personal injury you may suffer is not due to any fault on our part or that of our agents or suppliers, because it is either attributable to you, or attributable to someone unconnected with your holiday and is unforeseeable or unavoidable, or is due to unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all due care had been exercised, or an event which neither we, nor our agents or suppliers could have foreseen or forestalled. We will only accept liability for negligent acts or omissions of our employees, suppliers, sub-contractors, servants or agents providing they were at the time undertaking work authorised by us. (c) Our liability will also be limited: in accordance with and/or in an identical manner to the contractual terms of the companies that provide us with third party services (such as transport) and these terms are incorporated into this contract; and by any relevant international conventions which apply to, or govern, any of the accommodation or services included in your holiday with us. Other than as set out above, and as is detailed elsewhere in these booking conditions, we shall have no legal liability whatsoever to you for any loss or damage.
11. ROOM ALLOCATIONS: All accommodation is allocated by us. We will not accept liability for any complaints based on one bedroom being deemed less attractive than another on account of its size, views, character and/or location. The provision of a bedroom with a balcony will only be guaranteed if a balcony is requested verbally at the time of booking by you, then, if available, in writing on the booking form and finally confirmed in writing by us. We reserve the right to change your accommodation, provided the accommodation allocated is of the same or superior category to that originally booked.
12. SPECIAL REQUESTS: Any specific requests by you, such as matters concerning diet or allergies, must be advised to us on the booking form. Whilst endeavouring to fulfil all such requests, we shall not be liable to you if we fail to do so.
13. IF WE CHANGE OR CANCEL YOUR BOOKING: We reserve the right to change or cancel your booking. Subject to the note below, if we make a change and you don’t want to accept it, you can take any alternative accommodation we are able to offer you (you will pay the increase in cost if the replacement is advertised at a higher price than your original booking, or receive a refund of the difference if it is less expensive) or a refund of the money you’ve paid to us. This does not apply where the change is not material. Examples of non-material changes include, but are not limited to, temporary withdrawal of facilities or seasonal unavailability of amenities. Subject to the note below, if we have to cancel, again we may be able to offer you an alternative. If you accept it, you would pay the difference if it was advertised at a higher price than your original accommodation, or receive a refund of the difference if it was advertised at a lower price. Or we will refund the monies you have paid us for your accommodation. We will not be responsible to pay any compensation following a change or a cancellation by us. Any amendment or cancellation fees you incur in terms of other arrangements you have made with other providers under separate contracts are not claimable from us. Note: If a change or cancellation occurs because of circumstances beyond our control, for example war, riot, industrial dispute, actual or threatened terrorist activity and its consequences, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, adverse weather conditions, flood, epidemic or pandemic illness and all similar situations we will have no liability to you. No compensation, costs, expenses or any other sums, including the cost of securing alternative accommodation will be paid by us.
14. BEHAVIOUR: When you book a holiday with us, you accept responsibility for the proper conduct of all members of your party during your stay. We reserve the right at any time to terminate the stay of any party member(s) whose behaviour is such, in our reasonable opinion, as to cause or to be likely to cause danger, upset or distress to anyone else or damage to property. Full cancellation charges will then apply and no refund will be given. Furthermore, we shall be under no obligation whatsoever to pay compensation or meet any costs or expenses (including but not limited to alternative accommodation) you may occur as a result of your stay being terminated. In addition, you agree to fully reimburse any accommodation provider concerned for the cost of any damage you cause to the accommodation in which you are staying before the end of your stay if the cost has been established by then or as soon as it has been established if later. You must also indemnify us for the full amount of any claim (including all legal costs) made against us by the accommodation provider or any third party as a result.
15. FINANCIAL PROTECTION: The monies you pay to us for your holiday are protected by means of an ABTA bond provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited. This means that, if in the unlikely event of our insolvency your holiday can't be provided, you will receive your money back or, if your stay has started, arrangements will be made for you to be able to continue as planned.
16. DATA PROTECTION: Please be assured that we have measures in place to protect the personal booking information held by us. This information will be passed on to the principal and to the relevant suppliers of your travel arrangements. The information may also be provided to public authorities such as customs or immigration if required by them, or as required by law.
17. ABTA: We are a Member of ABTA, membership number W6883. We are obliged to maintain a high standard of service to you by ABTA's Code of Conduct. We can also offer you ABTA’s scheme for the resolution of disputes which is approved by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute. If we can’t resolve your complaint, go to www.abta.com to use ABTA’s simple procedure. Further information on the code and ABTA’s assistance in resolving disputes can be found at www.abta.com.
18. SKI SAFARI: Your guide, itinerary and accommodation shall be supplied by MSA srl trading as Arabba Holidays, for which Collett's Limited acts as an agent. Consequently each Ski Safari is neither run nor controlled by Collett's Limited and we are therefore not responsible/liable for its provision or for anything that happens during the course of its provision by Arabba Holidays. You therefore acknowledge that Collett's Limited acts as the disclosed agent of Arabba Holidays, and you agree that in the unlikely event that you need to make a claim, you shall make this against Arabba Holidays, and not Collett's Limited.
19. ANDALUCIA, CAMINO DE SANTIAGO & FRENCH PYRENEES HUT TO HUT: All transport, accommodation and food for these holidays are supplied by third parties (whose identities are available on request), for which Collett's Limited acts as an agent. You therefore acknowledge that Collett's Limited acts as the disclosed agent of these third party suppliers, and you agree that in the unlikely event that you need to make a claim, you shall make this against the relevant third parties, and not Collett's Limited.
20. LIFT CLOSURES: We will not be held responsible for the closure of lifts during the winter season for any reason. In the event of lack of snow, we cannot be held liable, but will endeavour to make mutually suitable arrangements, and these may incur additional costs to you.
21. EXCURSIONS: Excursions or any other activities that you may choose to book or pay for prior to or whilst you are on holiday are not part of your holiday provided by us. This includes (without limitation) both the Guided Glacier Trek and Guided Summit Ascent which appear on page 19 of the brochure. The decision to partake in any such activity is entirely at your own discretion and risk. For any excursion or other activity that you book, your contract will be with the operator of the excursion or activity and not with us. We are not responsible for the provision of the excursion or activity or for anything that happens during the course of its provision by the operator.
22. ACCURACY: (i) We make every effort to give accurate information in our brochure but cannot be liable to you in the event of changes, which occur after the brochure went to print, namely 21 October 2016; and (ii) Any view expressed in the brochure is the personal view of a member of our staff. Whilst our staff will express personal opinions based on first-hand knowledge of the resort, the final choice of holiday remains yours. We will not accept responsibility for any verbal statement made by a member of our staff unless it is confirmed in writing prior to the start date of your holiday with us.
23. COMPLAINTS: In the unlikely event of any dissatisfaction with the accommodation or any of the services provided during your holiday, the matter must be reported immediately to our resort manager who will endeavour to put things right. You should also try to find a solution whilst you're on holiday. Unless the opportunity for rectification of complaints is given to our resort manager whilst you are in the resort, we will not accept responsibility at a later date. We will not accept liability for complaints unless a complaint form has been obtained from the resort manager by you, and then completed and signed by both you and the resort manager. If we are unable to resolve the complaint satisfactorily during your stay, you should submit your complaint in writing, marked for the attention of Mr Tom Collett at 3a Market Hill, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1HQ within 28 days of the scheduled date of return from your holiday with us, advising us of the action taken and the names of the people to whom the matter was reported. We will not accept liability for complaints made outside this period.
24. DISPUTES: Any dispute or claim arising out of this contract that can't be settled between us can be referred by you to ABTA’s dispute resolution (see clause 17) or court.
25. JURISDICTION: You agree that the courts of England and Wales have exclusive jurisdiction and that English law shall apply.
26. FOREIGN & COMMONWEALTH OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE: You should always check FCO advice on travel to the country you are visiting prior to travelling at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
Guest Reviews & Testimonials
A splendid week with the "Dream team" - Mick, Caroline and Cameron and a lovely bunch of fellow walkers adding lively conversation and much laughter, we could not have asked for more. Not forgetting Gustavo, the beautiful scenery, flora and fauna, perfect weather and fantastic cuisine!
A big thank you to all concerned, Rosie and Alistair, Shropshire.
Eastfield Lodge is a hidden gem, which should not be a secret. We were made welcome from the moment we arrived and were entertained through our stay. Penny is a leader and makes sure every one of her charges is comfortable with the walks at all times. Henry and his team kept us watered and fed each day at the highest quality and quantity. Generosity, kindness, politeness are qualities in abundance at Eastfiled lodge. Thank you for a wonderful time.
Thanks for a great holiday and especially to Max, Henry, Emily and Clare - not forgetting the organiser, Tom!
This is the second winter holiday I have booked at the Chalet Haus Valentin and both have been very enjoyable. The staff are very well trained, personable and put the client first. I was nervous about taking up skiing again, after a long time, but so glad I did. Jane and Sonny were particularly supportive, but all of them were great. I would definitely book another winter holiday with you - I love the Dolomites and Italy.
As an older skier, who had not skied for a long time (and with knee injuries) I was delighted that you provided two groups, so I could enjoy being back on skiis and skiing at a level I felt confident about. I did have a private lesson before I joined the group on the first day, which gave me confidence, as the instructor said I was a good skier. I was pleased about the small group (of three) or even of one, if the others had not joined me. I found the Spring skiing was fine, as we skiied from early in the morning and stopped early afternoon, when the snow got heavy. I happily skied the Sella Ronda, with Jack as guide and two other guests, so I was very pleased with the progress I made. I skied five out of the six days.
It was recommended my a friend, so I tried snow shoeing on my first trip with you in Spring 2014. But I did ski for the final two days then. I intended to ski the following year, but had an operation on my left knee. As I wanted to try again, I decided to book this year (2017) and was so glad I did. I love the Dolomites and the skiing is very good, even so late in the season.
Only my thanks to all the staff at Chalet Haus Valentin for making my week such a success. I am back on my skis again!
The lack of snow meant we could do some walks in the north that I hadn't done before - Longiaru Valley, Maureberg Summit and Wengen Wanderweg and these really made the week. The Collett's staff were, as always, friendly, warm, helpful and really really nice young people, a delight to meet. The Wengen Wanderweg day will stay with me for a very long time - a super walk and Sam and Charlie were helpful and informative. Sam suggested an alternative way up through the trees which was delightful and their happy banter and gentle teasing made it feel as if we were going for a walk with friends of long standing, Charlie's attention to flower identification was impressive and Sam's interpersonal skills will stand him in very good stead for his future career.
The refurbished room (13) was lovely, really quiet for a poor sleeper, fabulous dual aspect views and spectacular skyscapes from the ensuite velux window! However not keen on polyester bedlinen - I wasn't the only one who found it hot and in winter too.
Thank you for providing gluten free food - Reiner provide some lovely ford for me and that was a great help.