Wallow in Basque beauty - self-guide from San Sebastian to Guernika
Moderate / Long
Daily Baggage Transfers
1 Apr - 30 Nov
You do the walking – we do the rest!
This is a 7 night, self-guided feast of Basque beauty on the lesser-frequented Northern Route, following the awe-inspiring Costa Verde – ‘Cornwall on steroids’ they say – before venturing inland to historic Guernika. Start at the old city gates of Hondarribia near San Sebastian and discover traditional fishing ports, timeless hamlets, vast surf beaches, enchanting woodland and cliff-tops with vast vistas. Exquisite Basque cuisine and accommodation – including a final night in Bilbao near the Guggenheim Museum – will be fondly remembered aspects of your adventure.
On a Collett’s village to village holiday, we do all the hard work, so you don’t have to. Comprehensive route notes and maps keep you nicely on the move. Your baggage is transported daily to the next carefully-selected overnight stop, where well-earned refreshment, replenishment and relaxation await you in charming surroundings. A good night’s sleep and a generous breakfast set you up for another fabulous day. Booking is easy: simply choose your dates, contact us and we will confirm your holiday asap. Then look forward to it, in the knowledge that every detail is taken care of.
1 Apr - 30 Nov Choose the 7 nights that suit you between the above dates.
Moderate / Hard This holiday is ideal for moderate walkers. Some days are quite long, but they can be shortened.
5 to 9 hours per day Based on 3kmph – excludes time taken for rests or lunch.
485m to 970m each day
500m to 850m each day
High Season Supplement - £95 (15 June - 30 September Incl.)
Transfer from San Sebastian to the first hotel in Hondarribia 7 Nights B&B handpicked 3* hotels or guest houses Picnic Lunches on your hiking days Dinner on 3 of 7 Nights including house wine
Baggage Transfers each day from hotel to hotel Detailed Route & Pre-departure Info Pack including maps, route descriptions etc. A Welcome from Javier, our local representative plus 24hr telephone support from him, as required Final Day Transfer from Guernika to Bilbao
What's Not Included:
Flights & Insurance San Sebastian, Bilbao or Biarritz airports Dinner on 4 of 7 Nights options available locally Optional Taxis
available most days to shorten hikes, if required Transfers from Biarritz or Bilbao Airport
available at a supplement Final Fight in San Sebastian, Instead of Bilbao available at a supplement of £45 per person
Getting to the start of the Northern Route of the Camino de Santiago is easy please see the ‘other info’ tab at the top of this page
Book with confidence:
In uncertain times, booking with financial peace of mind is essential – as members of ABTA, our walkers have been doing this for over 23 years. In addition, our booking conditions are now more flexible than ever:
book now and pay your balance only 4 weeks before departure;
if you change your mind you can defer or change your holiday free of charge at any time up to 4 weeks before departure;
refund guarantee – If within 4 weeks of travel the FCDO advise against non-essential travel to your destination or there are restrictions in place in your destination that will significantly affect your holiday, you will be entitled to a refund;
Rating of Average of 5 on a total of 10 Ratings
Any Questions? Speak to someone with extensive knowledge of our walks and destinations.
Call 01799 513331 or enquire here or use the messenger service – bottom right.
Camino de Santiago - Northern Route
A delightful 7-night mix of coastal hiking and inland hillwalking
Arrive in Hondarribia, an historic walled medieval town on the coast and the French border. Your accommodation is right on the Plaza de Armas square overlooked by the castle of Charles V. Sit-down briefing with Javier, our partner on the ground, at the hotel to talk through your Information Pack and week ahead and to answer any questions.
Full Distance : 23.1 km, 6 – 8 hours walking, 960 ascent
Distance with bus/taxi: 15.3 km, 4 -6 hours walking, 550 metres ascent
Leaving Hondarribia you climb to the ridge of Jaizkibel (525m) where you pass a series of old watchtowers that were used to signal whale sightings to ships at sea. Descending to the fishing village of Pasai San Pedro you cross the estuary on a water taxi and continue on to San Sebastian, famous for its food and beaches. Option to shorten the day by taking a bus or taxi from San Pedro to San Sebastian.
Distance: 16 km, 4 – 5 hours walking, 500 metres ascent The day starts with a climb to the peak of Igeldo for fantastc views back over San Sebastian’s La Concha beach. Passing through fields and woods you get wonderful views of the coast before descending to Orio, an old whalers town. It has a lovely medieval old quarter with ermitas and carvings dedicated to the pilgrims of the Camino.
Overnight accommodation – Casa Mailan (in July and August Segotegi)
Distance: 12 km, 3 – 4 hours walking, 485 metres ascent A shorter but beautiful day walking through vineyards that make Txakolí – the light, acidic white wine that is typical of the Basque Country. You pass the town of Zarautz and walk along it’s long beach full of surfers. The fishing village of Getaria with its cobbled streets and fantastic fish restaurants is today’s destination. Your accommodation is in the heart of the old town in an impressive 15th century building.
Distance: 18.4 km, 5 – 6 hours walking, 830 metres ascent Leaving Getaria on an ancient paved way you climb the first the days multiple hills. Our recommended option then leaves the Camino for a short while and hugs a spectacular section of rocky coastline and passes through a geological reserve. You end the day in Deba, staying the night at a hotel perched on the coastline just passed Deba.
Overnight accommodation – Hotel Arbe or Pikua Rural House
Full Distance: 21 km, 6 – 8 hours walking, 970 metres ascent Today the route leaves the coast behind and heads inland through the rural heart of the Basque Country. Forests, tiny farms, green hills and solitude characterise this day’s hiking. You will spend the night near to Markina in a beautiful ‘Casa Rural’ which is a delightful place to stay.
Overnight accommodation – Intxauspe or Ikestei Rural House
Distance: 28 km, 7 – 9 hours walking, 960 metres ascent Today as pilgrims have for centuries you pass the tenth century monastery of Ziortza then the forests of Gorontzugarai before entering green valleys dotted with hamlets as you approach Guernika. After the horrendous bombing immortalised by Picasso, Guernika symbolises the traditions and freedom of the Basque Country and is an appropriate place to end your journey through this region.
Transfer back to Bilbao for the final night.
Terrain – this route uses only waymarked routes which are generally straightforward to navigate using signposts and waymarks. Routes vary from well-trodden woodland paths to steeper paths on looser, rocky terrain. Certain sections of the route may be considered exposed by some people. Naturally, in the high mountains a certain level of hiking experience, surefootedness, a good head for heights and a good level of fitness are essential.
Accommodation – the itinerary is based on bed and breakfast in handpicked 3* hotels and guest houses, which will only be different from those listed in the itinerary if unavailable at the time of booking.
Lunch – packed lunches are included from your overnight accommodation for your walking days. Additionally, you can generally pick up supplies from local bakers or mini markets before you set off walking each day.
Party size – please note that the minimum party size is 2.
San Sebastian to Hondarribia For all guests arriving in San Sebastian, we offer a free transfer service. You will be met at the airport, train station or bus station and driven directly to the first night’s hotel in Hondarribia.
Biarritz and Bilbao Airports From these airports you can book a private taxi transfer directly to the first night’s hotel in Hondarribia. Contact us for prices and details. Also, in both cases, you can take a local bus to San Sebastian bus station, from where we offer a free transfer service to your hotel in Hondarribia. Buses are quite regular and you can check times at www.pesa.net. The journey time from Biarritz to San Sebastian is approximately 50- minutes, whilst from Bilbao you should allow 1 hour 15 minutes.
Extend your stay? – if you would like to add extra days in San Sebastian or Bilbao before or after your walking holiday, simply let us know and we can help you arrange this.
Walking Holiday & Travel Insurance – we recommend you buy a good insurance package at the time of booking (or certainly prior to purchasing flights or booking ferries etc.), so that you are covered in the unlikely event of you having to cancel for an ‘insurable’ reason. For more information on Walking Holiday & Travel Insurance – Click here
At Your Own Risk – please read important notes below entitled – At Your Own Risk
You participate in all our self guided village to village walks at your own risk and responsible for your own safety.
All self-guided ‘village to village’ holidays are enjoyed entirely at your own risk and it is important that you understand that whilst the route notes are accurate at the time of writing, the situation on the ground may change and this itinerary relies on your sound judgement and decision making throughout. Our self-guided village to village itineraries have been organised so that you might enjoy a route and associated accommodation you may not otherwise have discovered having organised the itinerary yourself. It represents nothing more than the opportunity to go out on a series of beautiful walks in wonderful walking areas, with the support of knowing that many of the logistics have been arranged for you. It is a fact that hill and mountain walking can and is associated with personal injury and death. By coming to such areas, you are exposing yourself and your party to the possibility of personal injury or even death. In such an event, Collett’s Limited trading as Collett’s Mountain Holidays will not be held responsible for your interest in the outdoors and your involvement in walking, which can occasionally have tragic consequences. The information provided uses only marked paths which are in use at the time of writing, however, it is your responsibility to continually assess the suitability and safety of the route throughout the walk and to undertake any action necessary to avoid any terrain which each or any member of the group is not comfortable with. The route choice also assumes an ability to read maps and navigate competently. It is the responsibility of each individual in the group to make an assessment of the information provided, and to make an informed decision about whether the itinerary is suitable for them. Finally, during your village to village holiday organised by Collett’s Mountain Holidays you act at your own risk on any ideas, information and opinions included in any material prepared by us or on our behalf to help you get the most from the area.
1. CONTRACT: Please read these booking conditions carefully as they, together with the specific information in your booking confirmation, form an important part of your contract with Collett’s Limited (company number : 03467538 whose registered office is at Market House, 10 Market Walk, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1JZ) trading as Collett’s Mountain Holidays.
2. PRICES: We reserve the right to alter any of our advertised prices. Our prices were set on 31 October 2020, and the reference exchange rate was 1.159 (as published by the Financial Times). You will be advised of the current price of the holiday that you wish to book before your contract is confirmed. All prices quoted are fully inclusive of non-optional charges.
3. SUPPLEMENTS: We reserve the right to apply a supplement to your holiday after you have booked in the event of increases to the costs of supplying your holiday, which might result from changes in the cost of fuel or other power sources, accommodation costs, costs of compliance with local rules and laws, exchange rate fluctuations and/or government action (including changes in any levels of taxation such as VAT). Supplements will not be applied within 20 days of your arrival date.
4. MAKING A BOOKING AND PAYMENT: When you have chosen your accommodation and you make a request to us to book it, you must pay a deposit of £100 (or £150 for our Ski Safari, Camino de Santiago, Kitzbuhel to Cortina, Mountains to the Med, and all Hut to Hut holidays), or if you are booking within 8 weeks of your arrival date the full cost of the booking. Your booking is only confirmed and a contract between us will only exist when a) your party leader has ticked the box on our client portal confirming that they accept our terms and conditions; b) we have received in cleared funds a deposit of £100 or £150 (as appropriate) per person; and c) we have issued our confirmation by email. Please check your confirmation carefully and report any incorrect or incomplete information to us immediately.
5. FINAL BALANCES: If you have paid a deposit, the ‘final balance’ of the cost of your holiday is due 56 days (8 weeks) before departure. If the balance is not received on time, we will remind you that it is overdue. If you then do not pay within 7 days of this reminder we reserve the right to cancel your booking and retain your deposit.
6. INSURANCE: It is essential that you take out adequate and valid insurance, which should include (without limitation) cover against the cost of cancellation by you, assistance (including repatriation) in the event of accident or illness, and third party liability for injury and damage. We recommend that your policy is as extensive as our recommended insurance policy, details of which can be found on our website. Insurance premiums in respect of travel insurance purchased from us are non-refundable and non-transferable.
7. BOOKING CHANGES: After our confirmation has been issued, any requests for changes must be sent to us in writing by e-mail or post, by the person that made the booking. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your request but we will try to do so. If you change the number in your party, the accommodation price will be re-calculated. If the party size is reduced, this is likely to mean the remaining members paying more due to under-occupancy.
8. CANCELLATIONS: If you want to cancel your booking, the person who made the booking must send this in writing to us, by email or post. You will be charged a cancellation fee as follows: If you cancel (this is the date on which we receive your written notice of cancellation during the hours of 9am to 5.30pm):
More than 28 days before your arrival date: deposit only; Within 28 days of arrival date: 100% Charges are shown as a percentage of your total holiday cost (including any excursions).
9. YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR BOOKING: When you make a booking you guarantee that you have the authority to accept and do accept on behalf of your party the terms of these booking conditions. This means that you are responsible for making all payments due, notifying us if any changes or cancellations are required and for receiving the confirmation and keeping your party informed.
10. OUR LIABILITY, CONDITIONS of CARRIAGE & LIMITATIONS: (a) Our obligations, in providing any accommodation or service included in your holiday, are to take reasonable skill and care to arrange for the provision of such accommodation or services. Therefore, providing we have selected our providers with reasonable care and skill, we will have no liability to you for anything that happens at the accommodation or any acts or omissions of the provider or other service providers. We will also have no liability in the following situations: (i) where the accommodation or services cannot be provided as booked due to circumstances beyond our control or which amount to “force majeure” (including, without limitation, global pandemics, terrorist activity, natural disasters and adverse weather conditions); (ii) where you incur any loss or damage that could not have been foreseen at the time of your booking, based on the information provided by you; (iii) where you incur any loss or damage that relates to any business activity; (iv) where any loss or damage relates to any services which do not form part of our contract with you. (b) Our liability, except in cases involving death, injury or illness, shall be limited to a maximum of 2 times the cost of your holiday with us. We shall have no liability where the cause of the failure to provide, or failure in, your holiday or any death or personal injury you may suffer is not due to any fault on our part or that of our agents or suppliers, because it is either attributable to you, or attributable to someone unconnected with your holiday and is unforeseeable or unavoidable, or is due to unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all due care had been exercised, or an event which neither we, nor our agents or suppliers could have foreseen or forestalled. We will only accept liability for negligent acts or omissions of our employees, suppliers, sub-contractors, servants or agents providing they were at the time undertaking work authorised by us. (c) Our liability will also be limited: in accordance with and/or in an identical manner to the contractual terms of the companies that provide us with third party services (such as accommodation and transport) and these terms are incorporated into this contract; and by any relevant international conventions which apply to, or govern, any of the accommodation or services included in your holiday with us. Other than as set out above, and as is detailed elsewhere in these booking conditions, we shall have no legal liability whatsoever to you for any loss or damage.
11. ROOM ALLOCATIONS: All accommodation is allocated by us. We will not accept liability for any complaints based on one bedroom being deemed less attractive than another on account of its size, views, character and/or location. The provision of a bedroom with a balcony will only be guaranteed if a balcony is requested verbally at the time of booking by you, then, if available, in writing on the booking form and finally confirmed in writing by us. We reserve the right to change your accommodation, provided the accommodation allocated is of the same or superior category to that originally booked.
12. SPECIAL REQUESTS: Any specific requests by you, such as matters concerning diet or allergies, must be advised to us on the booking form. Whilst endeavouring to fulfil all such requests, we shall not be liable to you if we fail to do so.
13. IF WE CHANGE OR CANCEL YOUR BOOKING: We may occasionally have to make changes or cancel your booking and we reserve the right to do so at any time. Changes If we make a major change to your holiday, we will inform you as soon as reasonably possible if there is time before your departure. You will have the choice of accepting the change of accommodation, or you can take any alternative accommodation we are able to offer you (you will pay the increase in cost if the replacement is advertised at a higher price than your original booking, or receive a refund of the difference if it is less expensive), or a refund. These options don’t apply for minor changes. Examples of minor changes include, but are not limited to, change of accommodation to another of the same or higher standard, temporary withdrawal of facilities or seasonal unavailability of amenities. Cancellation We will not cancel your travel arrangements less than four weeks before your departure date, except for reasons beyond our control (also known as force majeure) or failure by you to pay the final balance. If your holiday is cancelled you can either have a refund or accept an offer of alternative accommodation of comparable standard from us, if available (we will refund any price difference if the alternative is of a lower value). Any amendment or cancellation fees you incur in terms of other arrangements you have made with other providers under separate contracts are not claimable from us. Please note that if a change or cancellation occurs because of circumstances beyond our control, for example as a result of the UK’s decision to leave the European Union, war, riot, industrial dispute, actual or threatened terrorist activity and its consequences, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, adverse weather conditions, flood, epidemic or pandemic illness and all similar situations we will have no further liability to you. No compensation, costs, damages, losses, expenses or any other sums, including the cost of securing alternative transport or accommodation will be paid by us.
14. BEHAVIOUR: When you book a holiday with us, you accept responsibility for the proper conduct of all members of your party during your stay. We reserve the right at any time to terminate the stay of any party member(s) whose behaviour is such, in our reasonable opinion, as to cause or to be likely to cause danger, upset or distress to anyone else or damage to property. Full cancellation charges will then apply and no refund will be given. Furthermore, we shall be under no obligation whatsoever to pay compensation or meet any costs or expenses (including but not limited to alternative accommodation) you may occur as a result of your stay being terminated. In addition, you agree to fully reimburse any accommodation provider concerned for the cost of any damage you cause to the accommodation in which you are staying before the end of your stay if the cost has been established by then or as soon as it has been established if later. You must also indemnify us for the full amount of any claim (including all legal costs) made against us by the accommodation provider or any third party as a result.
15. FINANCIAL PROTECTION: The monies you pay to us for your holiday are protected by means of an ABTA bond provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited. This means that, if in the unlikely event of our insolvency your holiday can’t be provided, you will receive your money back or, if your stay has started, arrangements will be made for you to be able to continue as planned.
16. DATA PROTECTION: Please be assured that we have measures in place to protect the personal booking information held by us. This information will be passed on to the principal and to the relevant suppliers of your travel arrangements. The information may also be provided to public authorities such as customs or immigration if required by them, or as required by law. Our policy can be viewed at www.colletts.co.uk
17. ABTA: We are a Member of ABTA, membership number W6883. We are obliged to maintain a high standard of service to you by ABTA’s Code of Conduct. We can also offer you ABTA’s scheme for the resolution of disputes which is approved by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute. If we can’t resolve your complaint, go to www.abta.com to use ABTA’s simple procedure. Further information on the Code and ABTA’s assistance in resolving disputes can be found on www.abta.com. You can also access the European Commission Online Dispute (ODR) Resolution platform at https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/. This ODR platform is a means of notifying us of your complaint; it will not determine how your complaint should be resolved.
18. SKI SAFARI: Your guide, itinerary and accommodation shall be supplied by MSA srl trading as Arabba Holidays, for which Collett’s Limited acts as an agent. Consequently each Ski Safari is neither run nor controlled by Collett’s Limited and we are therefore not responsible/liable for its provision or for anything that happens during the course of its provision by Arabba Holidays. You therefore acknowledge that Collett’s Limited acts as the disclosed agent of Arabba Holidays, and you agree that in the unlikely event that you need to make a claim, you shall make this against Arabba Holidays, and not Collett’s Limited.
19. CONDITIONS OF SUPPLIERS : Many of the services which make up your holiday are provided by independent suppliers. This is particularly relevant to all our “Point to Point” holidays where your transport (unless provided by us), accommodation and food will be supplied by third parties (whose identities are available at www.colletts.co.uk/thirdparties) and for whom Collett’s Limited acts as an agent. You therefore acknowledge that Collett’s Limited acts as the disclosed agent of these third party suppliers. Those suppliers provide these services in accordance with their own terms and conditions which will form part of your contract with us. Some of these terms and conditions may limit or exclude the supplier’s liability to you, usually in accordance with applicable International Conventions. Copies of the relevant parts of these terms and conditions are available on request from us or the supplier concerned.
20. LIFT CLOSURES: We will not be held responsible for the closure of lifts during the winter season for any reason. In the event of lack of snow, we cannot be held liable, but will endeavour to make mutually suitable arrangements, and these may incur additional costs to you.
21. EXCURSIONS: Excursions or other tours that you may choose to book or pay for whilst you are on holiday are not part of your package holiday or contracted arrangements provided by us. All excursions are supplied by third party suppliers and are subject to their own terms and conditions. They do not form part of your holiday and are not governed by the Package Travel, Package Holiday and Package Tours Regulations 1992. For any excursion or other tour that you book, your contract will be with the operator of the excursion or tour and not with us. We are not responsible for the provision of the excursion or tour or for anything that happens during the course of its provision by the operator.
22. DELAYED TRAVEL: Collett’s can take no responsibility for repercussions concerning delayed flights or other travel arrangements. If your flight, bus or train is delayed, your allocated transfer will wait for up to 60 minutes – but no longer. We cannot wait any longer because our drivers are on time limits. So, if the delay exceeds 60 minutes, we either (1) allocate you to a later Collett’s transfer free of charge subject to seats being available or (2) in the event of there not being a later transfer, we will endeavour to book you a taxi transfer, although this will be at your expense. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding in the event of your transfer being delayed due to the delayed flight of other guests.
23. PASSPORT, VISA & IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS : Your specific passport and visa requirements, and other immigration requirements are your responsibility and you should confirm these with the relevant Embassies and/or Consulates. We do not accept any responsibility if you cannot travel because you have not complied with any passport, visa or immigration requirements.
24. ACCURACY: (i) We make every effort to give accurate information on our website but cannot be liable to you in the event of changes, which occur after information has been published on the website; and (ii) Any view expressed on the website is the personal view of a member of our staff. Whilst our staff will express personal opinions based on first-hand knowledge of the resort, the final choice of holiday remains yours. We will not accept responsibility for any verbal statement made by a member of our staff unless it is confirmed in writing prior to the start date of your holiday with us.
25. COMPLAINTS: In the unlikely event of any dissatisfaction with the accommodation or any of the services provided during your holiday, the matter must be reported immediately to our resort manager who will endeavour to put things right. You should also try to find a solution whilst you’re on holiday. Unless the opportunity for rectification of complaints is given to our resort manager whilst you are in the resort, we will not accept responsibility at a later date. We will not accept liability for complaints unless a complaint form has been obtained from the resort manager by you, and then completed and signed by both you and the resort manager. If we are unable to resolve the complaint satisfactorily during your stay, please follow this up within 28 days of your return home by writing to Tom Collett at 3a Market Hill, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1HQ giving your booking reference and all other relevant information. We will not accept liability for complaints made outside this period. Please keep your letter concise and to the point. If you fail to follow the requirement to report your complaint in resort we will have been deprived of the opportunity to investigate and rectify it and this may affect your rights under this booking. Please also see clause 17 above on ABTA.
26. DISPUTES: Any dispute or claim arising out of this contract that can’t be settled between us can be referred by you to ABTA’s dispute resolution (see clause 17) or court.
27. JURISDICTION: You agree that the courts of England and Wales have exclusive jurisdiction and that English law shall apply.
29. WEBSITE DISCLAIMER:The information contained on www.colletts.co.uk (‘our website’) is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Collett’s Mountain Holidays and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to our website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on our website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of our website. Through our website you are able to link to other websites which are not under our control. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them. Every effort is made to keep our website up and running smoothly. However, we take no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, our website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
Any Questions? Speak to someone with extensive knowledge of our walks and destinations.
Call 01799 513331 or enquire here or use the messenger service – bottom right.
Other Village to Village Holidays
7 Night Self-guided routes
Here is a list of all our Village to Village routes. Simply contact us with your chosen route and dates, and we’ll do the rest . Once confirmed, you can then book your travel, relax and look forward to your holiday. Remember, the earlier you book, the better availability generally is and the quicker we can confirm.
What an amazing week we had walking part of the Northern route of the Camino de Santiago. Certainly a challenge and hilly but with the right shoes, preparation and muscle rub - achievable! Spectacular scenery and attention to detail on route cards. Javier, the local agent was always on hand if needed and a very good communicator. H(Read more...)
Just a quick email to thank you and the team for organising our recent holiday in Northern Spain. From the beginning when Javier collected us for the transfer to Hondarribia and took the trouble to show us around San Sebastián, so we were able to make the most of extra time in San Sebastián on our return, we knew we would have a good (Read more...)
This was a great break. Excellent hiking along what must be one of the most beautiful stretches of the Camino del Norte.
As with all the other Collett holidays I have taken, the accommodation was excellent (Getaria was a special favourite), the food was good and Javier, our Colletts contact on the ground, was great. He was knowledgeab(Read more...)
Coastal Walking, Self-Guided Walking, Spanish Cuisine and Wine. The hotel Antsotegi was fine but rather 'tired'. It could be a lovely place with a bit more care and attention. Although the people there were polite and friendly, everywhere else the hosts were excellent. They were extremely kind and helpful, especially at the hotel near(Read more...)
A friend of mine and myself selected to go on the Camino holiday having had very positive experiences on previous trips organised by Collett's. We have found everything great. The information before had about the trip were good and the advice to get there by public transport very useful.
We were met at San Sebastian bus station by Ja(Read more...)
Loved the variety in the route, from hills/mountains, to country lanes, forests, and farm properties. Least enjoyable was walking thru harvested pine plantations, but understand that it is sometimes unavoidable. Really happy we took this 'less travelled' route. Packed lunches varied, most were very good. The best was the one from Casa(Read more...)
Hotels/guesthouses were all fantastic. Good locations, pleasant hosts. The first night's included meal was a bit of a let-down, as the intended restaurant was closed and none of the staff at the replacement spoke English. Also, while breakfasts were all good, some did not serve until 8:00 or even 8:30 on weekends, rendering an early d(Read more...)