Collett's Mountain Holidays - Booking Conditions
1. CONTRACT: Please read these booking conditions carefully as they, together with the specific information in your booking confirmation, form an important part of your contract with Collett's Limited (company number : 03467538 whose registered office is at Market House, 10 Market Walk, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1JZ) trading as Collett's Mountain Holidays.
2. PRICES: We reserve the right to alter any of our advertised prices. Our prices were set on 26 November 2018, and the reference exchange rate was 1.131 (as published by the Financial Times). You will be advised of the current price of the holiday that you wish to book before your contract is confirmed. All prices quoted are fully inclusive of non-optional charges.
3. SUPPLEMENTS: We reserve the right to apply a supplement to your holiday after you have booked in the event of increases to the costs of supplying your holiday, which might result from changes in the cost of fuel or other power sources, accommodation costs, costs of compliance with local rules and laws, exchange rate fluctuations and/or government action (including changes in any levels of taxation such as VAT). Supplements will not be applied within 20 days of your arrival date.
4. MAKING A BOOKING AND PAYMENT: When you have chosen your accommodation and you make a request to us to book it, you must pay a deposit of £100 (or £150 for our Ski Safari, Camino de Santiago and Hut to Hut holidays), or if you are booking within 8 weeks of your arrival date the full cost of the booking. Your booking is only confirmed and a contract between us will only exist when a) your party leader has ticked the box on our client portal confirming that they accept our terms and conditions; b) we have received in cleared funds a deposit of £100 or £150 (as appropriate) per person; and c) we have issued our confirmation by email. Please check your confirmation carefully and report any incorrect or incomplete information to us immediately.
5. FINAL BALANCES: If you have paid a deposit, the ‘final balance’ of the cost of your holiday is due 56 days (8 weeks) before departure. If the balance is not received on time, we will remind you that it is overdue. If you then do not pay within 7 days of this reminder we reserve the right to cancel your booking and retain your deposit.
6. INSURANCE: It is essential that you take out adequate and valid insurance, which should include (without limitation) cover against the cost of cancellation by you, assistance (including repatriation) in the event of accident or illness, and third party liability for injury and damage. We recommend that your policy is as extensive as our recommended insurance policy, details of which can be found on our website. Insurance premiums in respect of travel insurance purchased from us are non-refundable and non-transferable.
7. BOOKING CHANGES: After our confirmation has been issued, any requests for changes must be sent to us in writing by e-mail or post, by the person that made the booking. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your request but we will try to do so. If you change the number in your party, the accommodation price will be re-calculated. If the party size is reduced, this is likely to mean the remaining members paying more due to under-occupancy.
8. CANCELLATIONS: If you want to cancel your booking, the person who made the booking must send this in writing to us, by email or post. You will be charged a cancellation fee as follows: If you cancel (this is the date on which we receive your written notice of cancellation during the hours of 9am to 5.30pm):
More than 57 days before your arrival date: deposit only;
Between 56 and 43 days before your arrival date: 25%;
Between 42 and 29 days before your arrival date: 50%; and
Within 28 days of arrival date: 100%
Charges are shown as a percentage of your total holiday cost (including any excursions).
9. YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR BOOKING: When you make a booking you guarantee that you have the authority to accept and do accept on behalf of your party the terms of these booking conditions. This means that you are responsible for making all payments due, notifying us if any changes or cancellations are required and for receiving the confirmation and keeping your party informed.
10. OUR LIABILITY, CONDITIONS of CARRIAGE & LIMITATIONS: (a) Our obligations, in providing any accommodation or service included in your holiday, are to take reasonable skill and care to arrange for the provision of such accommodation or services. Therefore, providing we have selected our providers with reasonable care and skill, we will have no liability to you for anything that happens at the accommodation or any acts or omissions of the provider or other service providers. We will also have no liability in the following situations: (i) where the accommodation or services cannot be provided as booked due to circumstances beyond our control or which amount to "force majeure" (including, without limitation, terrorist activity, natural disasters and adverse weather conditions); (ii) where you incur any loss or damage that could not have been foreseen at the time of your booking, based on the information provided by you; (iii) where you incur any loss or damage that relates to any business activity; (iv) where any loss or damage relates to any services which do not form part of our contract with you. (b) Our liability, except in cases involving death, injury or illness, shall be limited to a maximum of 2 times the cost of your holiday with us. We shall have no liability where the cause of the failure to provide, or failure in, your holiday or any death or personal injury you may suffer is not due to any fault on our part or that of our agents or suppliers, because it is either attributable to you, or attributable to someone unconnected with your holiday and is unforeseeable or unavoidable, or is due to unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all due care had been exercised, or an event which neither we, nor our agents or suppliers could have foreseen or forestalled. We will only accept liability for negligent acts or omissions of our employees, suppliers, sub-contractors, servants or agents providing they were at the time undertaking work authorised by us. (c) Our liability will also be limited: in accordance with and/or in an identical manner to the contractual terms of the companies that provide us with third party services (such as accommodation and transport) and these terms are incorporated into this contract; and by any relevant international conventions which apply to, or govern, any of the accommodation or services included in your holiday with us. Other than as set out above, and as is detailed elsewhere in these booking conditions, we shall have no legal liability whatsoever to you for any loss or damage.
11. ROOM ALLOCATIONS: All accommodation is allocated by us. We will not accept liability for any complaints based on one bedroom being deemed less attractive than another on account of its size, views, character and/or location. The provision of a bedroom with a balcony will only be guaranteed if a balcony is requested verbally at the time of booking by you, then, if available, in writing on the booking form and finally confirmed in writing by us. We reserve the right to change your accommodation, provided the accommodation allocated is of the same or superior category to that originally booked.
12. SPECIAL REQUESTS: Any specific requests by you, such as matters concerning diet or allergies, must be advised to us on the booking form. Whilst endeavouring to fulfil all such requests, we shall not be liable to you if we fail to do so.
13. IF WE CHANGE OR CANCEL YOUR BOOKING: We may occasionally have to make changes or cancel your booking and we reserve the right to do so at any time. Changes If we make a major change to your holiday, we will inform you as soon as reasonably possible if there is time before your departure. You will have the choice of accepting the change of accommodation, or you can take any alternative accommodation we are able to offer you (you will pay the increase in cost if the replacement is advertised at a higher price than your original booking, or receive a refund of the difference if it is less expensive), or a refund of the money you’ve paid to us. These options don’t apply for minor changes. Examples of minor changes include, but are not limited to, change of accommodation to another of the same or higher standard, temporary withdrawal of facilities or seasonal unavailability of amenities. Cancellation We will not cancel your travel arrangements less than four weeks before your departure date, except for reasons beyond our control (also known as force majeure) or failure by you to pay the final balance. If your holiday is cancelled you can either have a refund of all monies paid or accept an offer of alternative accommodation of comparable standard from us, if available (we will refund any price difference if the alternative is of a lower value). Any amendment or cancellation fees you incur in terms of other arrangements you have made with other providers under separate contracts are not claimable from us. Please note that if a change or cancellation occurs because of circumstances beyond our control, for example as a result of the UK’s decision to leave the European Union, war, riot, industrial dispute, actual or threatened terrorist activity and its consequences, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, adverse weather conditions, flood, epidemic or pandemic illness and all similar situations we will have no further liability to you. No compensation, costs, damages, losses, expenses or any other sums, including the cost of securing alternative transport or accommodation will be paid by us.
14. BEHAVIOUR: When you book a holiday with us, you accept responsibility for the proper conduct of all members of your party during your stay. We reserve the right at any time to terminate the stay of any party member(s) whose behaviour is such, in our reasonable opinion, as to cause or to be likely to cause danger, upset or distress to anyone else or damage to property. Full cancellation charges will then apply and no refund will be given. Furthermore, we shall be under no obligation whatsoever to pay compensation or meet any costs or expenses (including but not limited to alternative accommodation) you may occur as a result of your stay being terminated. In addition, you agree to fully reimburse any accommodation provider concerned for the cost of any damage you cause to the accommodation in which you are staying before the end of your stay if the cost has been established by then or as soon as it has been established if later. You must also indemnify us for the full amount of any claim (including all legal costs) made against us by the accommodation provider or any third party as a result.
15. FINANCIAL PROTECTION: The monies you pay to us for your holiday are protected by means of an ABTA bond provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited. This means that, if in the unlikely event of our insolvency your holiday can't be provided, you will receive your money back or, if your stay has started, arrangements will be made for you to be able to continue as planned.
16. DATA PROTECTION: Please be assured that we have measures in place to protect the personal booking information held by us. This information will be passed on to the principal and to the relevant suppliers of your travel arrangements. The information may also be provided to public authorities such as customs or immigration if required by them, or as required by law. Our policy can be viewed at www.colletts.co.uk
17. ABTA: We are a Member of ABTA, membership number W6883. We are obliged to maintain a high standard of service to you by ABTA’s Code of Conduct. We can also offer you ABTA’s scheme for the resolution of disputes which is approved by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute. If we can’t resolve your complaint, go to www.abta.com to use ABTA’s simple procedure. Further information on the Code and ABTA’s assistance in resolving disputes can be found on www.abta.com. You can also access the European Commission Online Dispute (ODR) Resolution platform at http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/. This ODR platform is a means of notifying us of your complaint; it will not determine how your complaint should be resolved.
18. SKI SAFARI: Your guide, itinerary and accommodation shall be supplied by MSA srl trading as Arabba Holidays, for which Collett's Limited acts as an agent. Consequently each Ski Safari is neither run nor controlled by Collett's Limited and we are therefore not responsible/liable for its provision or for anything that happens during the course of its provision by Arabba Holidays. You therefore acknowledge that Collett's Limited acts as the disclosed agent of Arabba Holidays, and you agree that in the unlikely event that you need to make a claim, you shall make this against Arabba Holidays, and not Collett's Limited.
19. ANDALUCIA, CAMINO DE SANTIAGO & FRENCH PYRENEES HUT TO HUT: All transport, accommodation and food for these holidays are supplied by third parties (whose identities are available at www.colletts.co.uk/thirdparties), for which Collett's Limited acts as an agent. You therefore acknowledge that Collett's Limited acts as the disclosed agent of these third party suppliers, and you agree that in the unlikely event that you need to make a claim, you shall make this against the relevant third parties, and not Collett's Limited.
20. LIFT CLOSURES: We will not be held responsible for the closure of lifts during the winter season for any reason. In the event of lack of snow, we cannot be held liable, but will endeavour to make mutually suitable arrangements, and these may incur additional costs to you.
21. EXCURSIONS: We are happy to inform you of (and book) activities supplied by third parties, such as Glacier Treks and Summit Ascents, but it is important that you understand that: these excursions and activities are neither run nor controlled by Collett's (even if advertised by us); that we only act as your agent; and that your contract for these services is with the third party supplier in question and not Collett's Limited. Consequently, we are not responsible/liable for the provision of any such third party excursions or activities or for anything that happens during the course of its provision by the supplier. This applies to all activities advertised by Collett’s on our website and in resort and includes Glacier Treks and Summit Ascents. For example, in the case of Glacier Treks and Summit Ascents, as well as any Guided Via Ferrata you may book yourself whilst in the Dolomites, your contract for guiding services is directly with the third part supplier and not Collett's Limited.
22. DELAYED TRAVEL: Collett’s can take no responsibility for repercussions concerning delayed flights or other travel arrangements. If your flight, bus or train is delayed, your allocated transfer will wait for up to 60 minutes – but no longer. We cannot wait any longer because our drivers are on time limits. So, if the delay exceeds 60 minutes, we either (1) allocate you to a later Collett’s transfer free of charge subject to seats being available or (2) in the event of there not being a later transfer, we will endeavour to book you a taxi transfer, although this will be at your expense. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding in the event of your transfer being delayed due to the delayed flight of other guests.
23. PASSPORT, VISA & IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS : Your specific passport and visa requirements, and other immigration requirements are your responsibility and you should confirm these with the relevant Embassies and/or Consulates. We do not accept any responsibility if you cannot travel because you have not complied with any passport, visa or immigration requirements.
24. ACCURACY: (i) We make every effort to give accurate information on our website but cannot be liable to you in the event of changes, which occur after information has been published on the website; and (ii) Any view expressed on the website is the personal view of a member of our staff. Whilst our staff will express personal opinions based on first-hand knowledge of the resort, the final choice of holiday remains yours. We will not accept responsibility for any verbal statement made by a member of our staff unless it is confirmed in writing prior to the start date of your holiday with us.
25. COMPLAINTS: In the unlikely event of any dissatisfaction with the accommodation or any of the services provided during your holiday, the matter must be reported immediately to our resort manager who will endeavour to put things right. You should also try to find a solution whilst you're on holiday. Unless the opportunity for rectification of complaints is given to our resort manager whilst you are in the resort, we will not accept responsibility at a later date. We will not accept liability for complaints unless a complaint form has been obtained from the resort manager by you, and then completed and signed by both you and the resort manager. If we are unable to resolve the complaint satisfactorily during your stay, please follow this up within 28 days of your return home by writing to Tom Collett at 3a Market Hill, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1HQ giving your booking reference and all other relevant information. We will not accept liability for complaints made outside this period. Please keep your letter concise and to the point. If you fail to follow the requirement to report your complaint in resort we will have been deprived of the opportunity to investigate and rectify it and this may affect your rights under this booking. Please also see clause 17 above on ABTA.
26. DISPUTES: Any dispute or claim arising out of this contract that can't be settled between us can be referred by you to ABTA’s dispute resolution (see clause 17) or court.
27. JURISDICTION: You agree that the courts of England and Wales have exclusive jurisdiction and that English law shall apply.
28. FOREIGN & COMMONWEALTH OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE: You should always check FCO advice on travel to the country you are visiting prior to travelling at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
Guest Reviews & Testimonials
My first mountain walk, I've skied & run them but never hiked. I enjoyed a lot. Unfortunately the weather on several days was not that good but that's due to the early season I guess. On the plus side the plants were flourishing & not burnt. Location was a good base to view the area & the walk guiding was excellent. Food & wine included was excellent & Collett's seem to do a pretty good job of things.
Collett's was recommended to me by a work colleague. I enjoy walking but my family do not and my walking partner is getting over an injury. I booked with you because I didn't want to walk alone and fancied a sunny week with varied walks. Mick, Mark and Helen were all very good. Mick was able to share lots of local knowledge and I really enjoyed the opportunity to stop and admire the wild flowers and trees. Mick lent me his flora guide which was helpful.
I enjoyed all of the walks I took and felt that there was good variety.
I paid the single supplement which bumped the price up but feel that the meals and trips delivered good value for money. I used the pool area by the villa a couple of afternoons which was nice. Some pool umbrellas would have improved the experience.
I have stayed with Collett's in the Dolomites numerous times, in the Pyrenees, Austria, the Picos and Leyburn. Without a doubt 'Team Collett's' in Andalusia surpassed everything before it. This was another great trip that I will look back on with fondness. Mick was a star, closely followed by Mark and George. The "A Team', if ever there was one.
Also, how about a discount for regular customer like me, say 5% off if you have been to three different centres?
New destinations - Somewhere in the French Alps where few other holiday companies have offerings, or a bit away from other popular walkers' paradises such as Chamonix, for example, Les Contamines.
A splendid week with the "Dream team" - Mick, Caroline and Cameron and a lovely bunch of fellow walkers adding lively conversation and much laughter, we could not have asked for more. Not forgetting Gustavo, the beautiful scenery, flora and fauna, perfect weather and fantastic cuisine!
A big thank you to all concerned, Rosie and Alistair, Shropshire.
I have just returned from a great holiday at Canillas de Albeida. Hotel quirky but comfortable and clean. Food was very good with a good choice of menu..Mick, Caroline and Cameron were good walk leaders, very friendly and knowledgeable about area.It was nice to be away from the busy
resorts and experience the real Spain in a typical small village.. I even had a swim most days in pool at Villa!!
Your staff at the resort were excellent in all aspects. Could not have asked for more attentive staff! And were very knowledgeable about all aspects of the activities provided!
I would like to make you aware of the of how well regarded your 3 members of staff in Andalucia, Mike, Alison & Max were regarded by me and all other guests. They were friendly, attentive, knowledgeable and mostly it was a very great pleasure to have had the pleasure of their companionship!!!
A friend recommended us to look at your brochure, I had booked these holidays dates at work. We are planning to book with you for the Dolomites next year.
The staff working for Collett's were very good indeed (Max and Alison) ps also Mike. Activities on the day were subject to numbers and therefore arranged on an ad hoc basis.
Why Collett's? The challenges this walking holiday offered me with options for walking grades.The website was very persuasive and the holiday and experience generally surpassed expectations
Our third Colletts holiday, but first time to Andalucia, staying at the Posada La Plaza.
We had an amazing time - it is a really lovely area, with lovely friendly local people. The hotel is beautifully basic and steeped in tradition. "Luxury" it is not, but go prepared for this and enjoy the rustic charm. We absolutely loved it, and there is a wonderfully calming feel about the place (perhaps the history of being a Monestary stays with it!).
The Colletts hosts - Mick, Alison, Max and Chris (and not forgetting Rachel, who was on holiday, but still looked after us!) were fantastic (as ever), offering a great choice of walks every day. They cater for all abilities and are so attentive - and great company at dinner too.
The hotel owner, Gustavo, and his family are amazing - and can't do enough for you - even arranging a day trip to Nerja for us on their "day off" - incredible. We had a couple of small issues on arrival (only one towel and a light bulb out), which we reported and they were fixed instantly.
And to top it - another fantastic group of walkers, making it such a fun and enjoyable week, that we got back and immediately booked our next Colletts holiday!!
Thank you - we had a blast.
This is our second trip with Collett's,and we had a very enjoyable week.
The food,accommodation and staff were all excellent.
The fine weather,scenery,and friendly group made it a trip that we will never forget..
We are planning our next Collett's holiday already!
They have the format spot on.
We tried out Andalucia for a winter walking break and everything came up to scratch including the wall-to-wall sunshine. The food, the company and the walking was great.
Looking forward to our next trip with Collett's.
I think this is my thirteenth booking with Collett's. I expect the best and have never yet been let down. As ever, we thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Andalucia. It was a successful escape from the Scottish dreich and the weather, the hospitality and the companionship of the other clients was first class. We also enjoyed a culture visit to Malaga by public bus. Once again - well done Collett's!
All round with a few minor quibbles, were were very impressed. The balance of organised activity with some time to ourselves was just right. We enjoyed being in good hands and not over managed. La Posada rooms were cramped and it was not high end, but it is rural Spain and we took it as we found it. Gustavo is excellent and was always on hand to rectify and problems.
Office Hour is a great idea - missing on trips with other companies and very useful for deciding which walks to do and asking questions as well as getting to know people over a drink. Not sure what the ideas and information file was (I may not have been paying attention!) Weather reports are difficult in mountain areas.
Smaller group sizes are always better but I appreciate this would impact on cost.
The staff made the trip for me - they all engaged well with everyone and are a credit to Collett's.
Been with Colletts before and have been happy with the set up and type of holiday. You know you are going to get like-minded people on the holiday and be able to share your love of outdoor places.
By far the best service I have received from any company I have used. Really nice to have handbook information. I like to print it off before departure. Gustavo is a brilliant host and John took us around the villa. He is a lovely polite member of your staff. We really enjoyed the four long walks that we did. They were well organised and just what we wanted.Have been on three Collett's holidays now and have enjoyed them all.
Will still return to Andalucía as overall the holiday was very enjoyable.Really appreciated the transport to Nerja on the day off.The caves there are a must and need to be included in the handbook notes - thank you
Previous customer. Know what to expect. We wanted walking with like minded and sociable people and that's what we got. You have absolute gems in Gustavo and Mick and this is what made our holiday for us. Keep them at all costs! Total confidence in Mick with all his years an expat and his observations on life in Spain. Gustavo is the hardest working man in the village. Meeting the walks back with the minibus with champagne and crisps was priceless! Being in the Villa exceeded my expectations. We felt we might be 'out of it' but we had our own little villa community round the pool and the kettle after walks.
We enjoy the support of guides in unknown terrain and would not risk the mountains without that assistance. I can also suffer with vertigo in some environments and the guides experience & knowledge help. If it happens I know I can rely on their help and advice. We also enjoy the company of the other walkers and guides as well as the well chosen locations for accommodation, food and scenery.
The office hour is an excellent idea, very informative. Mick was a fountain of knowledge on the local area. We had a very enjoyable day to the caves at nejca and a relaxing afternoon in the resort itself. All the leaders emphasised the "at your own risk"policy before each walk. The majority of the guests had been with colletts before and were experienced hill walkers.
We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay thanks to mick, kelly, john and gustavo and his staff.
Excellent choice of food for the evening meals
I chose the moderate walks with your organiser called Kelly. She was very professional making everyone feel comfortable at their own pace, resulting in a very happy and cohesive group. This made the holiday very enjoyable, allaying any fears I might have had about my first mountain walking holiday.
Mike was a brilliant friendly guide and quite knowledgeable on the history of the area. Gustavo and his wife were excellent hosts. Gustavo even gave up his day off to be a "taxi" for a group of us to go to Friglianna and Nerja as there were no available local taxis at reasonable rates.
We did not actually walk with Kelly as we did the harder walks with Mike, but she was very helpful in the evenings and mornings and always smiling.
We regularly holiday with Colletts and love the whole experience.... perhaps you should introduce a loyalty scheme to get a discount after some many holidays!
See you in Italy in September for our next "Colletts" fix....
Have been to Dolomites in winter and enjoyed it very much. We were interested in Andalucia as a walking destination, liked the look of the Posada and village. thought the food would be good and it was excellent! Enjoyed meeting friendly group and eating together as a group.
Having stayed in Haus Valentin a couple of times we decided to book a week in Canillas on the assumption that it would be as good, we were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived everything was first class. Great staff, both Colletts and the Posada, excellent food, and a stunning location with great walks. Many thanks to Rich, Mick, Kelly and Gustavo.