- All you need to know about our holidays in the Pyrenees
- General Information – Seasons & Services, Our Day Off, Insurance, Booking Conditions,
At Your Own Risk, Making a Booking…
Day Off, Seasons & Services, Local Transport, At Your own Risk, Making a Booking
Wednesday is our day off in the Pyrenees. There are no organised walks nor Office Hour. However, there is somebody to meet and settle in new arrivals. For guests staying at Hotel Sabocos, breakfast is served as normal. Dinner is available at Hotel Sabocos but it is not included in your holiday price, so you pay locally. Many guests use this as an opportunity to eat out locally in one of the many restaurants in Panticosa.
Seasons & Services
In the Pyrenees the situation is similar to the Picos de Europa. If you plan to self guide, a car is more or less essential. However, if you are flexible as to the nature and grade of walks you join each day, and happily accept the limitations that guest car sharing can from time to time bring, then taking advantage of our airport and rail transfer services could well be a good option. Ultimately, the geography here dictates that we need to take short drives of between 10 - 50 minutes to the start of walks. Chairlifts etc. are frankly of limited use to us on our favourite walks. The walks from the village are limited and the one chairlift in the area is only open during July and August. Driving is the only way to walk in the ‘must‐do’ areas such as the Pic du Midi or Ordesa National Park.
Transport during your holiday
A key part of the charm of the Pyrenees is its under-developed nature which makes it such an alluring destination for walkers who crave a wilderness whatever the season. But certainly there is more activity in Panticosa and more on offer in the area in terms of lifts and activities ‐ from late June through to early September. That said the early bird might see the flora at its most startling.
With your own car or a hire car you will be able to join all the organised walks of your choice, whilst simultaneously being free to visit, local places of interest a short drive away. Our destinations are majestic; driving conditions are generally excellent and every journey should be a pleasurable part of your day. Naturally, having a car also gives you complete flexibility on your days of arrival and departure. Collett’s sends directions to your destination about 3 weeks before your holiday.
At your own risk
You join us on our organised walks at your own risk, responsible for your own safety, as part of an autonomous group, in which each member has a duty of care to each other. You will be asked to sign a disclaimer in this respect. This is an explanation of the status of our organised itineraries whether they involve walking, snowshoeing or skiing. We refer to such itineraries as organised, not guided. They are available on a basis of goodwill so that you might enjoy an itinerary you might not otherwise discover. They are nothing more than an opportunity to go out in beautiful scenery in company. It is a fact that mountains, mountainous areas and activities undertaken in them are associated with personal injury and death. By coming to such areas, you are exposing yourself and your party to the possibility of personal injury or even death. In such an event, Collett's will not be held responsible for your interest in mountainous areas and your involvement in mountain pursuits, which can occasionally have tragic consequences.
In these days of litigation it is important you know that every time you (and each member of your party) join us on an organised itinerary you do so at your own risk as part of an autonomous group, in which each member of that group has a duty of care to the other. This is no different from the responsibilities you have on a casually arranged weekend walk with friends or family in the UK. Our hosts all have experience of the mountains, some more than others. Some have qualifications relevant to mountain activities, but they are not qualified mountain guides. We recruit and train our outdoor staff in line with a Health & Safety Policy, which is based on risk assessment and recognised mountain safety procedures.
Not being professionally responsible for you on organised itineraries does not mean we ignore safety, nor does it make us exempt from owing a duty of care to each person who joins us on an organised itinerary. Your safety is paramount and we therefore take our own measures to maximise safety. We do this in line with legal requirements pertaining to duty of care. We apply Codes of Practice to the procedures carried out by our outdoor staff. We assess, manage and communicate risk. We try to make people aware of the importance of mountain safety and to highlight their responsibilities when part of a group.
Our Codes of Practice should not really be taken into consideration by you when deciding to join an organised itinerary, for at the heart of our procedures are basic mountain safety measures, which should be undertaken by every individual when preparing for a day in the mountains. Finally, during your stay you act at your own risk on any ideas, information and opinions you might acquire from our hosts or
from material prepared by us to help you get the most from the area. Thank you for your understanding on all of the above.
Queries relating to passports or visas should be directed to the Spanish embassy: Tel 0207 235 5555 mae.es
For general information on EHIC cards and healthcare whilst travelling visit bit.ly/HealthcareAbroad
For pre-travel information visit gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo
Or use the ABTA information line on 020 3117 0599 or visit abta.com
Making a Booking
Our office is open Mon to Fri - 9am to 6pm. (Sat 9am to 4pm). To book, please call 01799 513331 or email us at email@example.com We will let you know if your chosen dates and accommodation are available. We can hold rooms for a few days whilst you finalise travel plans and arrangements with family and friends. On booking we require a deposit of £75 per person. The final balance is due 8 weeks prior to your departure. The actual administration of confirmed bookings is dealt by email unless we have specific requests for postal arrangements. Once your booking is confirmed, various services (such as balance payments) can be managed via a personal Guest Webpage. This requires a password and username, which we send to you at the confirmation stage. Two or three weeks before your holiday we send by post our final correspondence concerning your holiday, including your final statement of account, our guest information leaflet, containing directions, arrival instructions, other information and a good walking map (if requested).
At Collett’s we are small enough to deal with every booking on a personal basis, so you get exactly what you want from your time in the mountains. Our office is staffed by Tom & Dee Collett, Phil Melia, Sam Chandler, Lisa Critchlow, Viv Wilkins, Rhian John, Rich Manterfield and Tony Stirland. Most of us have lived in our destinations and you can expect the highest levels of personal service from your initial enquiry to the end of an unforgettable holiday. So just call if we can help.
Please Note: Adequate and valid travel insurance is compulsory for all guests of Collett's Mountain Holidays. It is a condition of your booking that you agree you will have obtained adequate and valid travel insurance for your booking by the date of departure.
1. CONTRACT: Please read these booking conditions carefully as they, together with the specific information in your booking confirmation, form an important part of your contract with Collett's Limited trading as Collett's Mountain Holidays.
2. PRICES: We reserve the right to alter any of our advertised accommodation prices. You will be advised of the current price of the holiday that you wish to book before your contract is confirmed.
3. SUPPLEMENTS: We reserve the right to apply a supplement to your holiday after you have booked in the event of increases to the costs of supplying your holiday, which might result from changes in transport and accommodation rates, currency fluctuations and government action. Supplements will not be applied within 30 days of your arrival date. All prices quoted are fully inclusive of non optional charges.
4. MAKING A BOOKING AND PAYMENT: When you have chosen your accommodation and you make a request to us to book it, you must pay a deposit of ₤75, or if you are booking within 8 weeks of your arrival date the full cost of the booking. Your booking is only confirmed and a contract between us will only exist when we have: a) received from you a booking form which has been completed and signed by you; b) received in cleared funds a deposit of £75 per person; and c) issued our confirmation in writing. Please check your confirmation carefully and report any incorrect or incomplete information to us immediately.
5. FINAL BALANCES: If you have paid a deposit, the ‘final balance’ of the cost of your holiday is due 56 days (8 weeks) before departure. If the balance is not received on time, we will remind you that it is overdue. If you then do not pay within 14 days of this reminder we reserve the right to cancel your booking and retain your deposit. Payments by credit card will attract a credit card charge of 2%.
6. INSURANCE: It is essential that you take out adequate and valid insurance, which should include (without limitation) cover against the cost of cancellation by you, assistance (including repatriation) in the event of accident or illness, and third party liability for injury and damage. We recommend that your policy is as extensive as our recommended insurance policy, details of which can be found on our website. Insurance premiums in respect of travel insurance purchased from us are non-refundable and non-transferable
7. BOOKING CHANGES: After our confirmation has been issued, any requests for changes must be sent to us in writing, fax or post, by the person that made the booking. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your request but we will try to do so. If you change the number in your party, the accommodation price will be re-calculated. If the party size is reduced, this is likely to mean the remaining members paying more due to under-occupancy.
8. CANCELLATIONS: If you want to cancel your booking, the person who made the booking must send this in writing to us, by email, fax or post. You will be charged a cancellation fee as follows: If you cancel (this is the date on which we receive your written notice of cancellation during the hours of 9am to 5.30pm):
More than 42 days before your arrival date: deposit only
Between 42 and 29 days before your arrival date: 50%
Within 28 days of arrival date: 100%
Charges are shown as a percentage of your total holiday cost.
9. YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR BOOKING: When you make a booking you guarantee that you have the authority to accept and do accept on behalf of your party the terms of these booking conditions. This means that you are responsible for making all payments due, notifying us if any changes or cancellations are required and for receiving the confirmation and keeping your party informed.
10. OUR LIABILITY, CONDITIONS of CARRIAGE & LIMITATIONS: (a) Our obligations, in providing any accommodation or service included in your holiday, are to take reasonable skill and care to arrange for the provision of such accommodation or services. Therefore, providing we have selected our providers with reasonable care and skill, we will have no liability to you for anything that happens at the accommodation or any acts or omissions of the provider or other service providers. We will also have no liability in the following situations: (i) where the accommodation or services cannot be provided as booked due to circumstances beyond our control or which amount to "force majeure"; (ii) where you incur any loss or damage that could not have been foreseen at the time of your booking, based on the information provided by you; (iii) where you incur any loss or damage that relates to any business activity; (iv) where any loss or damage relates to any services which do not form part of our contract with you. (b) Our liability, except in cases involving death, injury or illness, shall be limited to a maximum of 2 times the cost of your holiday with us. We shall have no liability where the cause of the failure to provide, or failure in, your holiday or any death or personal injury you may suffer is not due to any fault on our part or that of our agents or suppliers, because it is either attributable to you, or attributable to someone unconnected with your holiday and is unforeseeable or unavoidable, or is due to unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all due care had been exercised, or an event which neither we, nor our agents or suppliers could have foreseen or forestalled. We will only accept liability for negligent acts or omissions of our employees, suppliers, sub-contractors, servants or agents providing they were at the time undertaking work authorised by us. (c) Our liability will also be limited: in accordance with and/or in an identical manner to the contractual terms of the companies that provide us with third party services (such as transport) and these terms are incorporated into this contract; and by any relevant international conventions which apply to, or govern, any of the accommodation or services included in your holiday with us. Other than as set out above, and as is detailed elsewhere in these booking conditions, we shall have no legal liability whatsoever to you for any loss or damage.
11. ROOM ALLOCATIONS: All accommodation is allocated by us. We will not accept liability for any complaints based on one bedroom being deemed less attractive than another on account of its size, views, character and/or location. The provision of a bedroom with a balcony will only be guaranteed if a balcony is requested verbally at the time of booking by you, then, if available, in writing on the booking form and finally confirmed in writing by us. We reserve the right to change your accommodation, provided the accommodation allocated is of the same or superior category to that originally booked.
12. SPECIAL REQUESTS: Any specific requests by you, such as matters concerning diet or allergies, must be advised to us on the booking form. Whilst endeavouring to fulfil all such requests, we shall not be liable to you if we fail to do so.
13. IF WE CHANGE OR CANCEL YOUR BOOKING: We reserve the right to change or cancel your booking for any reason prior to the payment of your ‘final balance’, and at any time because of any ‘force majeure’ event (being any circumstances beyond our control, for example war, riot, industrial dispute, actual or threatened terrorist activity and its consequences, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, adverse weather conditions, flood, epidemic or pandemic illness and all similar situations). If we do change or cancel your booking we will refund the monies you have paid us for your accommodation but we will not be liable to pay you any compensation, costs, expenses or any other sums, including the cost of securing alternative accommodation, or any amendment or cancellation fees you incur in terms of other arrangements you have made with other providers under separate contracts.
14. BEHAVIOUR: When you book a holiday with us, you accept responsibility for the proper conduct of all members of your party during your stay. We reserve the right at any time to terminate the stay of any party member(s) whose behaviour is such, in our reasonable opinion, as to cause or to be likely to cause danger, upset or distress to anyone else or damage to property. Full cancellation charges will then apply and no refund will be given. Furthermore, we shall be under no obligation whatsoever to pay compensation or meet any costs or expenses (including but not limited to alternative accommodation) you may occur as a result of your stay being terminated. In addition, you agree to fully reimburse any accommodation provider concerned for the cost of any damage you cause to the accommodation in which you are staying before the end of your stay if the cost has been established by then or as soon as it has been established if later.
15. FINANCIAL PROTECTION: We provide full financial protection for our holidays by way of a bond provided by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Plc.
16. DATA PROTECTION: Please be assured that we have measures in place to protect the personal booking information held by us. This information will be passed on to the principal and to the relevant suppliers of your travel arrangements. The information may also be provided to public authorities such as customs or immigration if required by them, or as required by law.
17. ABTA: We are a Member of ABTA, membership number W8663. We are obliged to maintain a high standard of service to you by ABTA’s Code of Conduct. We can also offer you an arbitration scheme for the resolution of disputes arising out of, or in connection with this contract. The arbitration scheme is arranged by ABTA and administered independently. It provides for a simple and inexpensive method of arbitration on documents alone with restricted liability on you in respect of costs. The scheme does not apply to claims for an amount greater than £5,000 per person. There is also a limit of £25,000 per booking form. Neither does it apply to claims which are solely in respect of physical injury or illness or their consequences. The scheme can however deal with compensation claims which include an element of minor injury or illness subject to a limit of £1,500 on the amount the arbitrator can award per person in respect of this element. Your request for arbitration must be received by ABTA within eighteen months of the date of return from holiday. Outside this time limit arbitration under the Scheme may still be available if we agree, but the ABTA Code does not require such agreement. For injury and illness claims, you can request the ABTA Mediation Procedure and we have the option to agree to mediation. Further information on the Code and ABTA’s assistance in resolving disputes can be found on www.abta.com
18. SKI SAFARI: Your guide, itinerary and accommodation shall be supplied by Arabba Holidays, for which Collett's Limited merely acts as an agent. Consequently each Ski Safari is neither run nor controlled by Collett's Limited and we are therefore not responsible/liable for its provision or for anything that happens during the course of its provision by Arabba Holidays. You therefore acknowledge that Collett's Limited acts as the disclosed agent, Arabba Holidays, and you agree that in the unlikely event that you need to make a claim, you shall make this against Arabba Holidays, and not Collett's Limited.
19. ANDALUCIA & CAMINO DE SANTIAGO: All transport, accommodation and food for these holidays are supplied by third parties, for which Collett's Limited merely acts as an agent.
20. LIFT CLOSURES: We will not be held responsible for the closure of lifts during the winter season for any reason. In the event of lack of snow, we cannot be held liable, but will endeavour to make mutually suitable arrangements, and these may incur additional costs to you.
21. EXCURSIONS: Excursions or any other activities that you may choose to book or pay for prior to or whilst you are on holiday are not part of your holiday provided by us. This includes (without limitation) both the Guided Glacier Trek and Guided Summit Ascent which appear on page 21 of the brochure. The decision to partake in any such activity is entirely at your own discretion and risk. For any excursion or other activity that you book, your contract will be with the operator of the excursion or activity and not with us. We are not responsible for the provision of the excursion or activity or for anything that happens during the course of its provision by the operator.
22. ACCURACY: (i) We make every effort to give accurate information in our brochure but cannot be liable to you in the event of changes, which occur after the brochure went to print, namely 21 October 2014; and (ii) Any view expressed in the brochure is the personal view of a member of our staff. Whilst our staff will express personal opinions based on first-hand knowledge of the resort, the final choice of holiday remains yours. We will not accept responsibility for any verbal statement made by a member of our staff unless it is confirmed in writing prior to the start date of your holiday with us.
23. COMPLAINTS: In the unlikely event of any dissatisfaction with the accommodation or any of the services provided during your holiday, the matter must be reported immediately to our resort manager so that action can be taken by us. You should also try to find a solution whilst you're on holiday. Unless the opportunity for rectification of complaints is given to our resort manager whilst you are in the resort, we will not accept responsibility at a later date. We will not accept liability for complaints unless a complaint form has been obtained from the resort manager by you, and then completed and signed by both you and the resort manager. If we are unable to resolve the complaint satisfactorily during your stay, you should submit your complaint in writing, marked for the attention of Mr Tom Collett at 3a Market Hill, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1HQ within 28 days of the scheduled date of return from your holiday with us, advising us of the action taken and the names of the people to whom the matter was reported. We will not accept liability for complaints made outside this period.
24. DISPUTES: Any dispute or claim arising out of this contract that can't be settled between us can be referred by you to ABTA arbitration (see clause 17) or court.
25. JURISDICTION: You agree that the courts of England and Wales have exclusive jurisdiction and that English law shall apply.
Data Protection Statement – Please be assured that we have measures in place to protect the personal booking information held by us. This information will be passed on to the principal and to the relevant suppliers of your travel arrangements. The information may also be provided to public authorities such as customs or immigration if required by them, or as required by law. Certain information may also be passed on to security or credit checking companies.
In pictures – A Collett’s Holiday in the Pyrenees
|Make an Enquiry||01799 513331||Our Accommodation|